I know that you are probably on a journey to rid your home of toxic products. You are probably looking to do the same with your personal care products, too. Awesome. That makes me extremely happy …and we have A LOT in common! I have played around with this product for quite some time now. I have tried a few recipes online and even adapted them to try and create my own. I was never happy with the end product. Some were okay, but none were perfect.
Finally, I believe that I have created the most perfect, healthy, non-toxic, organic, effective smooth finish face foundation makeup …AND it contains sunscreen!
Since you are likely a lot like me in your green-living ways, you have probably dabbled in skincare products yourself: lotion, salve, deodorant, etc. As many of you might know, it’s become my ultimate passion… for good reason! I won’t get into it all here (I’ve already written a pretty extensive post re: the nastiness in skincare products), but I will say that makeup is one of the biggest offenders for nastiness.
I have been using a foundation that I thought was good quality (Lord knows it sure is CRAZY expensive… $45 for just over 1oz… ouch). Honestly, though… I bought it a while ago because it was mineral-based and because it did not have colophony in it (a random contact allergy I have).
I hadn’t looked at the ingredients until recently. Here’s what I found…
(Beige Ivory): Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, PEG-12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Isononyl Isononanoate Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Trihydroxystearin, Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxstearate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Silk Powder (Serica), Saccharomyces/Xylinum Black Tea Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).1
I am almost embarrassed to show you this list, but it does feel good to finally know the horrific product I’ve been using for a year. I can now move on and make better choices.
Today, I am sharing that better choice with all of you, because I know that you want to make better choices, too.
Smooth Finish DIY Organic Foundation With Sunscreen (5OZ)
- Double-boiler (I just make my own with a glass bowl over a pot of shallow simmering water)
- Kitchen scale (this is my favorite kitchen scale)
- Container for finished product (see more below re: container choices)
- 1.5oz Almond Oil (or unrefined, raw, organic carrier oil of your choice; learn more about carrier oils here; purchase Pronounce Skincare Herbal Boutique Almond Oil)
- 1oz Shea Butter (organic, raw, unrefined shea butter like this)
- .5oz Cocoa Butter (organic, raw, unrefined cocoa butter like this)
- .5oz Beeswax (this is by far my favorite beeswax)
- 1/8t Vitamin E (make sure it’s not from GMO sources; this is my favorite Vitamin E)
- .5oz Zinc Oxide (make sure it is uncoated, non-nano, and not micronized)
- Cocao Powder (organic cocao (or cocoa) powder like this)
- Cinnamon (organic cinnamon like this)
- Using your scale and the tare function, measure and combine the first five ingredients into the glass bowl into your double-boiler.
- DO NOT add the zinc oxide, cocoa powder, or cinnamon!
- Completely melt the first five ingredients, stirring occasionally with your whisk.
- Remove from heat and allow time to cool a bit (a few minutes …and wipe excess moisture off the outside of your bowl, too).
- Place your bowl back on the scale, hit tare, and add in spoonfuls of zinc oxide until you get to .5oz. This gives you approximately a 10 SPF coverage (as it’s approximately 10% of the total weight… read more about sunscreen here). Whisk to completely combine.
- Add 1/8t cinnamon; whisk to combine.
- Add cocoa powder a little at a time and whisk to get to the color you need…
- 1/2T cocoa powder is a light foundation
- 1/2T plus 1t is a medium foundation
- 1/2T plus 2t is a medium-dark foundation
- Simply start with 1/2T of cocoa powder, whisk to combine, check on your wrist for a color match, and add more cocoa powder (1/2t at a time) until you reach your perfect color
- Pour into your selected container and allow to cool.
*T=tablespoon and t=teaspoon
That is it, friends.
Random Questions You Might Have
This is a silky smooth foundation. It is easily spreadable, yet firm enough to stay on for hours (thanks to the beeswax). As such, you can apply it in several ways and you have several container choices. Click here to take a look at the containers on Amazon.
- Your fingers work fine (as long as they are clean). Using a container like the one you see to the left would serve you well for this foundation.
You simply scoop your finger into the container and apply directly to your face. Or, you could scoop a clean makeup sponge into the container and apply it that way, too.
Yes, this is a metal tin. If you don’t like metal tins, you might like the next option below better.
- Again, you’d use your fingers for this option… or a makeup sponge …and heck yes! You can certainly use mason jars for your personal care products. They aren’t for just food!
Point being, you apply and spread it directly on your face, but this container option is a nice glass mason jar… if you aren’t worried about dropping and breaking it. Hehe.
- Since this is a very spreadable (yet firm enough) consistency, you can certainly squeeze this foundation out of a container like this.
I made one at home this way and it worked beautifully. No sticking fingers into a jar… just push some out onto your finger or makeup sponge and you are good to go.
***This does NOT go on in a thick layer (like a pancake foundation that offers full, heavy, & thick coverage); it is thin and light in coverage. It sets the perfect base for your favorite powder, which will set and finish your new nourishing and moisturizing foundation nicely. It takes a few short minutes to soak into your face, but when it does you’ll have a light coverage that is incredibly healthy for your skin.
***Again, if you are looking for a full coverage foundation to cover many blemishes, this is NOT it. This is a light coverage foundation that is healthy for your skin…no crazy & unnecessary toxins…but certainly does provide light, effective, & even coverage that optimizes your already natural elements of beauty.
***Your choice of powder is crucial to use on top of this foundation. I make my own and it finishes the foundation beautifully, providing greater coverage and an excellent finish. See more below re: a great powder selection.
***When wearing this foundation I no longer have to use a facial cream or lotion, as this is an all-in-one light coverage foundation AND moisturizer. Perfect! Even less chemicals and things to put on our faces! I simply apply the foundation as a base, apply my powder on top, and then apply my own blush or bronzer and I’m out the door… with a natural, healthy, light coverage that I feel great about putting on my face and it LOOKS great on my face… even and natural.
How to apply the foundation
Would you love to try this foundation,
but you aren’t always a DIY-ish person (or maybe you are simply lacking time, motivation, supplies, raw products, etc)?
Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell the foundations.
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!