I know that you are probably on a journey to rid your home of toxic products. You are probably looking to do the same with your personal care products, too. Awesome. That makes me extremely happy …and we have A LOT in common! I have played around with this product for quite some time now. I have tried a few recipes online and even adapted them to try and create my own. I was never happy with the end product. Some were okay, but none were perfect.
Finally, I believe that I have created the most perfect, healthy, non-toxic, organic, effective smooth finish face foundation makeup …AND it contains sunscreen!
Since you are likely a lot like me in your green-living ways, you have probably dabbled in skincare products yourself: body butter, salve, deodorant, etc. As many of you might know, it’s become my ultimate passion… for good reason! I won’t get into it all here (I’ve already written a pretty extensive post re: the nastiness in skincare products), but I will say that makeup is one of the biggest offenders for nastiness.
I have been using a foundation that I thought was good quality (Lord knows it sure is CRAZY expensive… $45 for just over 1oz… ouch). Honestly, though… I bought it a while ago because it was mineral-based and because it did not have colophony in it (a random contact allergy I have).
I hadn’t looked at the ingredients until recently. Here’s what I found…
(Beige Ivory): Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, PEG-12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Isononyl Isononanoate Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Trihydroxystearin, Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxstearate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Silk Powder (Serica), Saccharomyces/Xylinum Black Tea Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).1
I am almost embarrassed to show you this list, but it does feel good to finally know the horrific product I’ve been using for a year. I can now move on and make better choices.
Today, I am sharing that better choice with all of you, because I know that you want to make better choices, too.
Smooth Finish DIY Organic Foundation With Sunscreen (5OZ)
- Double-boiler (I make my own with a glass bowl over a pot of shallow simmering water)
- Kitchen scale (this is my favorite kitchen scale)
- Container for finished product (see more below re: container choices)
- 1.5oz Almond Oil (or unrefined, raw, organic carrier oil of your choice; learn more about carrier oils here; purchase Pronounce Skincare Herbal Boutique Almond Oil)
- 1oz Shea Butter (organic, raw, unrefined shea butter like this)
- .5oz Cocoa Butter (organic, raw, unrefined cocoa butter like this)
- .5oz Beeswax (this is by far my favorite beeswax)
- 1/8t Vitamin E (make sure it’s not from GMO sources; this is my favorite Vitamin E)
- .5oz Zinc Oxide (make sure it is uncoated, non-nano, and not micronized)
- Cocao Powder (organic cocao (or cocoa) powder like this)
- Cinnamon (organic cinnamon like this)
- Using your scale and the tare function, measure and combine the first five ingredients into the glass bowl into your double-boiler.
- DO NOT add the zinc oxide, cocoa powder, or cinnamon!
- Completely melt the first five ingredients, stirring occasionally with your whisk.
- Remove from heat and allow time to cool a bit (a few minutes …and wipe excess moisture off the outside of your bowl, too).
- Place your bowl back on the scale, hit tare, and add in spoonfuls of zinc oxide until you get to .5oz. This gives you approximately a 10 SPF coverage (as it’s approximately 10% of the total weight… read more about sunscreen here). Whisk to completely combine.
- Add 1/8t cinnamon; whisk to combine.
- Add cocoa powder a little at a time and whisk to get to the color you need…
- 1/2T cocoa powder is a light foundation
- 1/2T plus 1t is a medium foundation
- 1/2T plus 2t is a medium-dark foundation
- Simply start with 1/2T of cocoa powder, whisk to combine, check on your wrist for a color match, and add more cocoa powder (1/2t at a time) until you reach your perfect color
- Pour into your selected container and allow to cool.
- NOTE: You will likely have a bit of settling at the bottom. Don’t pour that into your container, as you will end up with flecks of the powders. We just discard that part here at the shop.
*T=tablespoon and t=teaspoon
That is it, friends.
Random Questions You Might Have
You have a few choices for containers and it depends on how you like to apply your foundation.
This is a silky smooth foundation. It is easily spreadable, yet firm enough to stay on for hours (thanks to the beeswax). As such, you can apply it in several ways and you have several container choices. Click here to take a look at the containers in Pronounce Skincare Shop.
Your fingers work fine for application (as long as they are clean).
Simply scoop your finger into the container and apply directly to your face. Or, you could scoop a clean makeup sponge into the container and apply it that way, too.
Want to try it?
but you aren’t always a DIY-ish person (or maybe you are simply lacking time, motivation, supplies, raw products, etc) Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell the foundations.
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!