Hey friend! It’s Jess, here to share another DIY recipe that has had loads of reader requests – DIY Organic Facial Powder. This DIY facial powder recipe has been a long time coming. If only there were more hours in the day (are you saying that with me)!? After publishing the DIY recipe and selling my Organic Foundation (sunscreen, moisturizer, & foundation base – all-in-one) I have been asked almost daily when I’ll come out with the powder recipe (and the product for sale). Finally, the DIY powder recipe is here.
This powder provides a perfect finish for my DIY organic foundation recipe!
So, WHY is it important to consider the facial powder you apply?
You know that I have to go here. We HAVE to be aware of what we put inside of AND ON our bodies. So, what had I been using back in the day?
Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Pearl Powder, Avena Sative (Oat) Kernal Flour, Silver, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Extract, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate. May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)1
Ouch! That ‘natural‘ mineral facial powder contains some nasty stuff, huh!? I thought I was being nice to my face by using this powder! AND at $34.00 for .42oz? Double Ouch!
Another very popular brand advertising their line as a way to, “…nourish, energize, and renew…” skin is falling short (and charging A LOT). Check out the ingredient list below and keep in mind that this product will set you back about $21.00 for .21 oz.
Once again, Ouch!!!
Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Corn Starch Modified, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Magnesium Stearate.2
Nothing is organic, so you know that first ingredient corn starch is genetically engineered… Oh wait, the second ingredient is ‘Corn Starch Modified‘!? Umm, yeah. Let’s stick with organic, healthy, easily obtainable ingredients, shall we? #RunAway #SaveYourMoney #SaveYourFace
This is one of the easiest DIY recipes that I have posted. You need only 5 ingredients. Yeah, only five!
DIY Organic Facial Powder Recipe
- Airtight jar(s) for storage – A simple mason jar will work. You can also find great containers in Pronounce Skincare Shop, like our awesome powder sifters…perfect for your healthy new facial powder!.
- Coffee / Spice Grinder – Crucial for this recipe, this is a fantastic spice grinder that I have given quite a workout
- Arrowroot Powder – Organic arrowroot like this is easy to source online and in many health food stores
- Cacao Powder – Organic cacao powder like this, NOT cocoa, is great for both DIYs and for cooking
- Cinnamon – Organic ceylon cinnamon is what I keep around my shop for DIYs and in my kitchen for cooking
- Zinc Oxide – I sell small amounts of non-nano, uncoated zinc oxide HERE in my online skincare shop
- Vitamin E – Make sure you are using non-GMO sourced Vitamin E
- This powder could not be more easy to create!
- Carefully combine all ingredients into your spice grinder and pulse until evenly combined.
- Be careful not to inhale powders, especially the zinc. Use a face mask (or hold your shirt over your face).
- Use an application puff (or paper towel) to test as you create. Once happy with your shade, carefully pour into your container(s) and secure lid.
- Below are the ratios I use to create light, medium, and dark powders, BUT here’s the beauty of this recipe…you can play with the ratios until you find your perfect match! Just keep notes as you go.
- 2 T Arrowroot
- 1 t Zinc
- ¼ t Cacao
- 1/16 t Cinnamon
- 3 T Arrowroot Powder
- 1.5 T Cacao Powder
- 1 T Zinc
- ¼ t Cinnamon
- 2 T Arrowroot Powder
- 2.5 T Cacao Powder
- 1 T Zinc
- ¼ t Cinnamon
- Add 4-5 drops of Vitamin E to your spice grinder while mixing to help your healthy new powder stay fresh longer!
*C = Cup, T = Tablespoon, t = Teaspoon; 4 T = ¼ C