Hello friends! Today I am sharing a crafty concoction that is utilized quite frequently in our home and will likely be a nice addition to yours, too. Today I bring you an easy to create, very powerful ‘fix pretty much anything’ salve. “Dramatic much?” Maybe, but, really… it’s true.
You know how *real* food foodies kind-of laugh about saying, “Ah, just rub some coconut oil on it!” because coconut oil is like… well, pretty amazing stuff? Yeah. This salve is like that.
This salve is always go-to in our home. You will use this DIY salve to help with a plethora of ‘problems’ that creep up in your home. Seriously, just check out how incredibly versatile this healing salve really is…
- Rough elbows
- Dry feet
- Eczema patches
- Poison ivy
- Bug bites
- Sore muscles
- Bug repellant
- Antibacterial needs
Yes, ALL of that, for real!
Below I briefly explain the ingredients so you can get a better grasp on just how incredibly healing and nourishing this DIY salve really is for your body and skin.
Key Oil Players
Have oily skin? No worries, this oil will work wonders for you, too. This oil is readily recognized by your skin as a “helper” and will help your skin maintain proper PH levels.
***Read more about both almond and jojoba oils HERE in this post I wrote a while back.
***You should also keep neem oil on hand for when you whip up your next batch of my DIY non-toxic bug spray (RECIPE HERE).
Key Essential Oil Players
Properties: Analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aromatic, carminative, cholagogue, deodorant, diuretic, emmenagogue, insecticide, nervine, sedative, stimulant, stomachic, vulnerary.
Benefits: Bruises, burns, dandruff, earache, flatulence, halitosis, headache, indigestion, infection, inflammations, insect bites and stings, insomnia, nausea, nervous tension, rashes, scars, slow digestion, sore muscles, sprains, stress, sunburn, toothache, ulcers, wound.
Properties: Antifungal, antiputrefactive, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, diuretic, expectorant, insecticide, regenerative, sedative, tonic.
Benefits: Air purifier, coughs, dandruff, dry skin, fungal infections, insect repellant, nervous tension, rashes, rheumatism, ulcers.
DIY Fix Pretty Much Anything Salve (12OZ)
- Double Boiler – *Only needed if using beeswax. I make my own with a glass bowl over a pot of shallow, simmering H2O
- Kitchen scale – like THIS; BTW, having a scale is a great investment in your kitchen and I use mine daily)
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Container(s) – 12OZ glass jar or bottle (I like THESE)
- 4OZ Jojoba Oil
- 2OZ Almond Oil
- 6OZ Tamanu Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Neem Oil
- Lavender EO- 6 drops
- Cedarwood EO- 5 drops
- Tea Tree EO- 5 drops
- Geranium EO- 4 drops
- *Optional– 1OZ beeswax
Unless I am running low and in a hurry, I usually DO use beeswax, as it helps the salve to thicken and ‘set’. Your salve will be a thick liquid consistency if you do not use beeswax, which is absolutely, 100% fine! I’ve done that, too, but since I often use this healing concoction on my toddler, I like being able to keep it on his skin a little better and the beeswax is a great way to do just that.
Make It With Besswax
- Measure everything into a bowl
- Pour into suitable container
- Shake, shake, shake
- Hooray…ready to use
- Store somewhere dry and cool; shake before each use
Make It Without Besswax
- Measure everything (EXCEPT EOs) into the upper part of your double-boiler (for me, this is a glass bowl)
- Melt on low heat over bottom part of double-boiler (for me, a pot with shallow water) until everything is melted (the beeswax will be the last thing to melt)
- Turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Add EOs; whisk to fully combine
- Pour into container and place somewhere safe so it can set up (which actually doesn’t take very long); stop by and stir occasionally
- Hooray…ready to use
- Store somewhere dry and cool; stir before use
Not feeling particularly DIYish?
Simply not enough hours in the day? Pinning more than you could ever tackle these days? No worries. I have got you covered.
Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell this salve. While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!