I ate organic nourishing food, used clean beauty products, and DIY’d many of my home cleaning supplies. So, naturally I was concerned about anything and everything I was going to use for my baby. I must have read a dozen books, sampled armfuls of baby bath products, and tested and re-tested diapers.
One of the most concerning things to me was the lack of truly natural baby wipes.
I looked over the ingredients from the most widely available “natural wipes” and found many toxic ingredients.
Here are the troubling things I found:
And don’t even get me started on wipes like Huggies and Pampers — they are a toxic soup of parabens, fragrances, and skin irritants. Oh these poor baby’s butts! No wonder diaper rash is so common.
So, then and there I decided to forgo packaged wipes altogether.
I went into my kitchen and started concocting all sorts of baby wipe sprays. The recipe I came up with I have used through two children, and thank myself every time for doing so. I make a batch about every two weeks and keep it in a spray bottle for easy use.
The only other step left is purchasing the reusable wipes, which are easily found online. I find it best to have an assortment of brands on hand so that I can have different textures for various “jobs.” Once I have used a wipe I simply toss it into the Wet Bag I have hanging on my door knob. Weekly, I throw all the wipes in the wash — easy as pie. For those concerned about the stink of dirty wipes hanging around in a bag, don’t be. I have the terrible curse of an incredibly strong sense of smell, and not once through diapering two children have I smelled the Wet Bag.
Another bonus about using DIY spray and reusable wipes is how much money you will save.
A 2 oz bottle of spray costs mere pennies to make and once you buy a stack of reusable wipes they will last you indefinitely…certainly through multiple diapered children. This beats buying the jumbo box for $18 each month. Plus it’s environmentally friendly to boot.
You can’t get any more #lifefromscratch than this.
Let’s talk a minute about the ingredients found in this DIY baby wipe spray:
DIY Baby Wipe Spray (2OZ)
- 2 oz spray bottle
- 1 Tbs aloe vera –Pronounce Skincare aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp carrier oil of choice – almond oil, jojoba oil, etc. Occasionally for extra soothing (especially great for diaper rash) I add a splash of rosehip seed oil to the mix (learn more about carrier oils and their uses here)
- ¾ tsp liquid castile soap
- 2 Tbs distilled water (or enough to top off the bottle)
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil (Plant Therapy makes a great tea tree essential oil, but use your fav EO)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil (like this)
- Mix all the ingredients, except the water, together directly into the bottle. Add the water last, just enough to fill the bottle to the top. Swirl gently to mix, don’t shake or it will foam. With each use gently swirl and/or invert to combine ingredients.
- Spray directly onto babies skin or on the wipe itself
*T=tablespoon and t=teaspoon
Your baby’s bottom will be clean, chemical free, and soothed. Rashes and irritation may be a thing of the past and you will praise the Diaper Gods each time you pass the wipes section without spending a penny.