Honestly, I don’t sweat that much. TMI? I wish that I would sweat more (as weird as that might sound). Sweating is your body’s natural way of ridding toxins, so it’s really a good thing. On occasion, I do wear deodorant, especially if I know I’ll be in a situation where I’ll likely sweat. Since I started my *real* journey toward better health from the inside out AND the outside in, I’ve been going through all of my products and eliminating toxic ingredients; things that are bad for me and the environment. I looked at the label on my conventional deodorant at home and was shocked. It was jam packed full of harmful ingredients.
It was pretty scary, really. Many deodorants (even those that claim to be “all-natural”) contain aluminum and/or aluminum derivatives (as these serve as an antiperspirant… which we do NOT want). Some say there is a link between Alzheimer’s and aluminum (although, research has not been plenty in this area). It’s a fact that parabens are in many deodorants… also downright despicable. Read this post I wrote a while back to learn more about parabens.
Sooooo, off I went to create my own homemade DIY deodorant recipe. It had to be an easy, effective deodorant recipe, that was gentle and (of course) non-toxic.
Now, I know what you might be thinking…
Yeah, and there are already about a million other homemade deodorant recipes out there.
Yup, there sure are. But now, there are one million and ONE. Hehe.
I am proud of this deodorant because it contains a few ingredients you may not typically see in deodorants and I’m not really sure why! I’m ready to share it with you. It is effective, said by not only me (the not-so-heavy-sweater), but also by my husband (probably-your-typical-sweater). Oh, and it’s easy, to boot. Yay!
First, a little education about why I am using each ingredient…
We have an extensive post on carrier oils here. You’ll see below that you can easily substitute a different oil that is liquid at room temp oil, but I really like almond oil.
Okay, now that you’ve been schooled on the ingredients, finally… the simple recipe.
Easy Effective Homemade Deodorant (4oz)
- 4oz+ jar or tin (see Pronounce containers). We also carry gorgeous black and white deodorant tubes in the shop that would be perfect for this!
- Double-boiler (I make my own with a glass bowl over a pot)
- Kitchen scale (like THIS; BTW having a scale is a great investment in your kitchen and I use mine almost everyday)
- 30g Coconut oil (my very favorite hand-pressed coconut oil)
- 20g Shea butter (this is a great shea butter)
- 10g Carrier Oil (I like almond oil like THIS, but you could use many oils that are liquid at room temperature… THIS is an excellent guide for carrier oils!!!)
- 10g Beeswax (like this certified organic beeswax)
- 15g Arrowroot powder (super smooth arrowroot, like this)
- 15g Diatomaceous Earth – Food Grade! (aka food grade, like THIS)
- 5 drops of Vitamin E (this is a great vitamin E oil)
- 20-25 drops of essential oils (aka EOs, which are totally optional, but I love them… like THESE oils)
- Measure oils, shea butter, and beeswax into the upper part of your double-boiler (for me, this is a glass bowl)
- Melt on low heat over bottom part of double-boiler (for me, a pot with shallow water) until everything is melted (the beeswax will be the last thing to melt, just keep stirring)
- Turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Add arrowroot, DE, Vitamin E, and essential oils; whisk vigorously to fully combine
- Pour into container
- Place somewhere safe so it can set up (which actually doesn’t take very long)
In my latest batch I used Lavender and Patchouli EOs. Oh, and Lavender has some super qualities for skincare (read about essential oils in a post I wrote here). I’ve also used Tea Tree EO, as it also has great antibacterial qualities. Remember though, less is more with EO!
The consistency of this lovely deodorant is firm, yet extremely spreadable. I use my finger to dip out a SMALL amount (seriously… you really do not need much) and just rub it into my armpits. I have not tried this in a roll-on stick, but I do believe it will work, as it is of similar consistency to those that are in roll-ons (but mine is much more smooth and it feels… well, more real, I guess because it is). If you try this in a roll-on, please stop back by and let me know.
Also, please note… if you are not used to using natural products for your armpits you will likely have a detox phase. This is totally normal!
Having an initial cleanse is actually pretty important. Or… if you find that you truly cannot go for a few days without deodorant, you will have to use this one (or any other natural deodorant) for a week or so before you body starts to adjust. It pains me to hear of people who try to use natural deodorants without detoxifying their pits, who then complain that they don’t work. You have to get rid of the decaying matter in your body (esp breeding ground pits!!!) before you can ask your body not to smell …and remember, sweating is a GOOD thing!
We want to sweat… we just don’t want to stink.
You may want to do a little extra research on switching to a natural, organic deodorant to help give you a better understanding of what to expect. Also, if you want a stronger scent from the deo, you can always add a few more EO drops (so long as it isn’t irritating you) and you can also add a bit more DE. It will make it a bit more ‘stiff’ in consistency, but will help in grabbing odors.
And there you have it.
Would you love to try this deodorant,
but you aren’t always a DIY-ish person (or maybe you are simply lacking time, motivation, supplies, raw products, etc etc etc etc)?
Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell this deodorant.
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!