Hey friend! It’s Jess. Today I’m bringing you a new DIY skincare post… one that *many* of you have been requesting for quite some time… DeFunkifying DIY Deodorant for Sweaty Armpits!
The response to my previously published non-toxic DIY deodorant recipe has been overwhelmingly positive. I have had hundreds of people whip up a batch, as well has hundreds more purchase a deodorant from the Pronounce Skincare shop. As you can see, reviews have been extremely positive!
I have sensitive skin. Using Pronounce’s deodorant for 2 weeks, I have smooth underarms… (the lifetime of red bumps— gone). I did not know this was possible!
Ummmmmm, I’ve tried every single deodorant to try and find something that isn’t toxic AND actually works, without any luck. Finally I found Scratch Mommy’s blog and discovered this; it’s amazing! Works all day, doesn’t cause me to break out into underarm lesions, and I’m so over the moon excited! Thank you Thank you!
It works!!! Smells wonderful. My husband was raving about it at golf league. He wears this or nothing at all. I’m so proud of him 🙂
My DIY deodorant works for the vast majority of people… BUT, I’ve had a small handful of people say it didn’t work as well for them as they hoped.
When someone says that my (or any!) DIY deodorant didn’t work for them, my first three questions are always…
How long did you try it?
Please give it more than a few days.
What were you using before?
With any personal care product change, your body will need time to adjust.
Have you done an armpit cleanse?
Here is a great process for detox.
When those questions have been explored, it’s also pertinent to think about diet (what you put in your body can come out in funny ways, even through smell). And sometimes, you truly do just need something with a bit more oomph. I had a customer LOVE my non-toxic deodorant, but he wanted a bit more OOMPH. So, off I went into the laboratory to create more OOMPH for him. DIY Deodorant for Sweaty Armpits AKA Deodorant With A Bit More OOMPH.
Not ‘too thick’ and not ‘ too thin’, but perfect for a standard deo container …and packs a bigger punch, but is still gentle enough for our sensitive, sweaty armpits.
This creation has been tested by multiple customers, friends, and family. It has undergone FOUR recipe tweaks. It has been well-tested and is ready for the world.
Today I bring you…
DIY DeFunkifying Deodorant (6OZ)
- Double-Boiler – For me this is a pot with shallow water and a glass bowl or large glass Pyrex measuring cup
- Deodorant Containers (standard size tubes)
- 30g Coconut Oil – raw, virgin, hand-pressed coconut oil – This is the only coconut oil that I use (I offer smaller sizes of it HERE in my online shop)
- 20g Shea Butter – raw, unrefined, organic shea butter – this is by far the preferred shea butter of Pronounce Skincare
- 20g Beeswax – pure, no additives beeswax – my favorite beeswax pastilles
- 22.5g Tamanu Oil – cold-pressed, unrefined, organic tamanu oil
- 22.5g Neem Oil – don’t fall for cheap knock-offs – organic, thick, healing neem oil
- 3g Almond Oil – organic, unrefined almond oil – or other liquid carrier oil like these
- 10-15 drops Vitamin E – Non-GMO vitamin E (this is my favorite vitamin E)
- Essential Oils – 60 total drops: 30 drops frankincense, 20 drops bergamot, 10 drops patchouli (my favorite essential oils 60 total drops)
- 25g Arrowroot Powder – organic arrowroot powder
- 15g Diatomaceous Earth – food-grade, 100% diatomaceous Earth
- 7.5g Kaolin Clay – white clay is another name for this staple in my home & shop – make sure it is untreated kaolin (white) clay
- Using an accurate digital scale, measure all ingredients (EXCEPT the 3 powder ingredients, EOs, & vitamin E) into the upper part of your double-boiler.
- Melt on low heat over bottom part of double-boiler (for me, a pot with shallow water) until everything is melted (the beeswax will be the last thing to melt)
- Turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Add arrowroot, diatomaceous Earth, kaolin clay, Vit E, and EOs; whisk vigorously to fully combine…and then whisk some more
- Pour into containers and place somewhere safe to set up (which actually doesn’t take very long)
- Scoop down on sides as necessary with spatula and continue to pour until all containers are full.
- This will fill just over 2 regular sized deodorant tubes.
Why These Ingredients?
Finally, make sure that you purchase quality tamanu oil. It is not a cheap oil, so if you see one at a price that looks ‘too good to be true’, it likely is. Learn more about tamanu oil here.
I’ve already written a bit about almond (and coconut) oils here. Of course, you can easily substitute a different carrier oil that is liquid at room temp oil, but I really like almond oil. Learn more about liquid carrier oils here.
DE is almost entirely silica, which is a crucial trace element needed by our bodies, and one in which many are deficient. By adding DE into your homemade deodorant, you are giving your sensitive skin a nice dose of DE (essentially, silica) which helps with sensitive areas of skin that might become rashy and it also helps to draw out toxins.
So, not only does DE help draw out moisture and remove toxins, but it also helps to ease sensitive skin. Win! You can read more about DE here. Oh, and remember to purchase food grade DE (and don’t breathe it in… best not to get it into your lungs as it is super finely ground stuff).
Possible DIY Q&As
I’m stirring this stuff and it is THICK! Did I do something wrong?
No, probably not. This recipe is quite thick, but don’t worry… when in the deodorant tubes it will apply just fine for you (see more below). You might have to sit your bowl back on the double-boiler between pours and whisk it up again. Take a look at the photo below. You’ll notice a film on top… totally normal! Simply reheat on the double-boiler and just stir up to combine again.
Can I add different essential oils?
Sure, of course! I have selected frankincense, bergamot, and patchouli because… well, they are such a lovely combination AND they actually serve a legitimate purpose in this recipe to keep BO at bay. Also, the neem oil and tamanu oil are both super strong scented carrier oils. If you loathe the smell of neem, feel free to remove some and simply replace the amount you remove with any other liquid carrier oil. Frankincense, bergamot, and patchouli are also strong scented EOs, and they work together to give your new DIY deodorant more of a fresh (but still a bit Earthy) smell. #yummo I would not leave out the neem, though… as it has a very important purpose in this recipe.
What’s the texture like?
Compared to my original (fantastic) DIY deodorant recipe, this does have a different texture. My original recipe goes best in a container and scooped out (although, there are comments that it has gone fine in a deo tube). I prefer to scoop it.
This recipe goes perfectly in a deodorant container, as the consistency is more solid, quite a bit. It will require a little more work to apply than a normal tube deodorant, but not in a bad or annoying way. It has to be a little more tough, as the extra ‘powder’ materials help with drawing out the sweat and whatnot.
Would you rather just buy my DeFunkifying Deodorant?
Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell this deodorant.
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!