I like sexy, hairy men. In fact, I like them so much that I married one (the best one, of course). The more facial hair, the better, I say. That said, my sexy and hairy man does have a job in corporate America where it is (unfortunately) frowned upon to have a beard, even a nicely trimmed beard. Boo Corporate America!!! In between travelling he will let his beard grow (especially in the winter), but come time for travels and meetings he has to shave it all away. Those are always sad days for me. However, I must also admit that it’s nice to see his baby smooth skin shining fresh from under his beard, too.
I really see the stunning and striking resemblance our son has to him with his face freshly shaven… okay, so the point!
Since he often goes from full beard to no beard, and even in between when he’s simply ‘edging’ (if that’s even what it’s called to keep it looking not so scraggly… you get my point) it’s important that he has a soothing aftershave to treat his beautiful skin the way it should be treated. Knowing that he’s married to me, you know that I will only let him use the best on that pretty face… no toxic chemicals, please!
Of course, I had to create my own soothing, smell-good, effective DIY aftershave spray for him…my lover.
I scoured the internet and our good friend Pinterest and out of that search came this recipe. I took ideas from several places, not any one in particular… just a mishmash. Having an arsenal of organic raw materials with which to work, this creation came from my researching and playtime in the kitchen. Oh, how I LOVE that time!
I am pleased because…
- It’s non-toxic
- His face is fresh and smooth to the touch
- It smells delish
He is pleased because…
- He also likes the smell
- Because I made it with love
- It works!
This is a super easy DIY with only a few ingredients you likely have at home. If you don’t have them at home, I encourage you to keep most all of them on hand, anyway. They are great to use in many DIY recipes and remedies.
DIY AFTERSHAVE SPRAY (2OZ)
- 2oz Spray bottle – Grab one in the Pronounce Skincare Herbal Boutique
- A small funnel (not totally necessary, but VERY helpful; plus, I use funnels like these all of the time for DIY stuff, straining kefir through a cheesecloth lined funnel, etc)
- Distilled H2O (appx. 1oz)
- Witch Hazel (appx. 1oz) – Make sure the alcohol content is low, like in our DIY witch hazel recipe
- Vegetable Glycerin (1/4t) – Non-GMO sourced, organic glycerin like Pronounce Skincare vegetable glycerin
- Jojoba Oil (1/8t) – Organic, unrefined, cold-pressed Pronounce Skincare jojoba oil
- Essential Oils – Cedarwood Atlas (13 drops) & Bay West Indies (7 drops)
- Vitamin E (2-3 drops; optional) – Non-GMO sourced vitamin E like this
- Add vegetable glycerin, jojoba oil, EOs, & Vitamin E to your spray bottle
- Fill bottle almost halfway with water
- Fill almost to the top with witch hazel
- Shake, shake, shake
- Spray and enjoy (spray directly on the face or into the hand for application)
See... how easy is that,
Why These Ingredients?
Oh, what a lovely little ingredient this is! …and it’s cheap, to boot! Witch hazel has incredible soothing properties, making it a perfect ingredient for aftershave. It will reduce puffiness, clean and soothe wounds, stop itching, help refresh skin, and helps seal in moisture. Pretty good stuff, eh? The smell? It’s hard to describe. It is very light and not overpowering in any sense of the word. The best way I can describe it is simply clean. Just smooth and clean and real.
Grab some certified organic witch hazel bark in the Herbal Boutique, then learn how to make your own healthy DIY witch hazel.
Now go on and DIY some.
Not feeling particularly DIYish?
Simply not enough hours in the day? Pinning more than you could ever tackle these days? No worries. I have got you covered. Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell this aftershave spray (in two scents)!
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!
Is it in liquid oz or oz by weight?
Hi Kaiti! We use fluid oz here at the shop and that is how this recipe is written, too 😊 Happy DIYing!
Thank you! I just finished making this literally right now. I used cedarwood and patchouli and it smells like the woods. It’s amazing, can wait until my hubby tries it!
Oooohhh 😍 that sounds so yummy! I hope he loves it!!
What is the shelf life of this product
I have never had one go bad and haven’t heard from anyone else having one go bad. The witch hazel does help preserve it a bit. Happy DIYing!
its so refreshing to read your posts that are so friendly and real – Im definately making this for my beardy man – thank you!
Hope he enjoys! Happy DIYing 😊
Would this be appropriate to use on the bikini area (for women obviously) to prevent ingrown hairs?
Yes! Of course! Us ladies here at Pronounce love using this spray after we shave 😊