I like sexy, hairy men. In fact, I like them so much that I married one (the best one, of course). The more facial hair, the better, I say. That said, my sexy and hairy man does have a job in corporate America where it is (unfortunately) frowned upon to have a beard, even a nicely trimmed beard. Boo Corporate America!!! In between travelling he will let his beard grow (especially in the winter), but come time for travels and meetings he has to shave it all away. Those are always sad days for me. However, I must also admit that it’s nice to see his baby smooth skin shining fresh from under his beard, too.
I really see the stunning and striking resemblance our son has to him with his face freshly shaven… okay, so the point!
Since he often goes from full beard to no beard, and even in between when he’s simply ‘edging’ (if that’s even what it’s called to keep it looking not so scraggly… you get my point) it’s important that he has a soothing aftershave to treat his beautiful skin the way it should be treated. Knowing that he’s married to me, you know that I will only let him use the best on that pretty face… no toxic chemicals, please!
Of course, I had to create my own soothing, smell-good, effective DIY aftershave spray for him…my lover.
I scoured the internet and our good friend Pinterest and out of that search came this recipe. I took ideas from several places, not any one in particular… just a mishmash. Having an arsenal of organic raw materials with which to work, this creation came from my researching and playtime in the kitchen. Oh, how I LOVE that time!
I am pleased because…
- It’s non-toxic
- His face is fresh and smooth to the touch
- It smells delish
He is pleased because…
- He also likes the smell
- Because I made it with love
- It works!
This is a super easy DIY with only a few ingredients you likely have at home. If you don’t have them at home, I encourage you to keep most all of them on hand, anyway. They are great to use in many DIY recipes and remedies.
DIY AFTERSHAVE SPRAY (2OZ)
- 2oz Spray bottle – These are great looking little glass spray bottles
- A small funnel (not totally necessary, but VERY helpful; plus, I use funnels like these all of the time for DIY stuff, straining kefir through a cheesecloth lined funnel, etc)
- Distilled H2O (appx. 1oz)
- Witch Hazel (appx. 1oz) – Make sure the alcohol content is low, like in this witch hazel
- Vegetable Glycerin (1/4t) – Non-GMO sourced, organic glycerin like Pronounce Skincare vegetable glycerin
- Jojoba Oil (1/8t) – Organic, unrefined, cold-pressed Pronounce Skincare jojoba oil
- Essential Oils – Cedarwood Atlas (13 drops) & Bay West Indies (7 drops)
- Vitamin E (2-3 drops; optional) – Non-GMO sourced vitamin E like this
- Add vegetable glycerin, jojoba oil, EOs, & Vitamin E to your spray bottle
- Fill bottle almost halfway with water
- Fill almost to the top with witch hazel
- Shake, shake, shake
- Spray and enjoy (spray directly on the face or into the hand for application)
See... how easy is that,
Why These Ingredients?
Vegetable glycerin is also very moisturizing and can take the place of drying alcohols in many DIY skincare products. Yes, you’ll have a shorter shelf-life, but that’s where the Vitamin E comes in (it’s a great preservative). Just make sure you know from exactly where your vegetable glycerin was sourced (in case of allergies and so you know it’s not from a GMO source).
Check out Pronounce Skincare & Herbal Boutique’s lovely vegetable glycerin!
Check out Pronounce Skincare & Herbal Boutique’s certified organic, cold-pressed, unrefined jojoba oil!
Bay (West Indies)– This scent has been in aftershaves for decades. It just smells… manly, in a good way. It is quite strong, but mixes beautifully with the witch hazel and Cedarwood. This oil is also an astringent and antiseptic.
Now go on and DIY some.
Not feeling particularly DIYish?
Simply not enough hours in the day? Pinning more than you could ever tackle these days? No worries. I have got you covered. Please, head on over to my Pronounce Skincare Shop where I sell this aftershave spray.
While you are there, please look around at all of my other skincare creations. I love making them for my family and for you!