When the weather turns cooler, that’s when I have to start reaching for all the moisturizing things! More lip balm applied in one week than all the summer months combined, my face is constantly being slathered in moisturizer, and body butters are my new bff.
In addition to all those great moisturizing products, I’ve also started using a moisturizing body wash. I love a good body wash but in the fall/winter they can dry out my skin. Being the DIYer that I am, I decided to make my own body wash and make it so that it moisturizes my skin while cleaning it!
Kokum butter is one of the ways how this body wash gets it’s moisturizing abilities. We love kokum butter here at Pronouce Skincare! You’ll find certified organic kokum butter in our DIY Kokum Butter Sugar Scrub and in our Beard Balm.
We love to use kokum butter because it’s rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin e, which means it’s a great emollient and is very healing for your skin. It can revitalize skin and it strongly supports skin elasticity. Bonus points for hokum butter…it won’t clog your pores! Note: Do not use kokum butter if you have a nut allergy.
–Grab certified organic kokum butter in the shop!
On top of kokum butter, this body wash also uses jojoba oil. Jojoba oil, which is actually a wax ester and not a true oil, is a wonderful moisturizer as it mimics collagen and is the closest to our natural skin oil. It’s a pretty impressive ingredient.
–Grab Pronounce certified organic jojoba oil in the shop!
We opt for castile soap in this body was as our soap base because it’s a super gentle soap with no funny ingredients hiding in it.
Vegetable glycerin is another favorite ingredient here at Pronounce Skincare. You can find it in our aftershave sprays, our bug spray, hand soap, and more. Glycerin helps ingredients “stick” to surfaces longer than if they were in water alone because glycerin acts like a carrier oil.
–Grab Pronounce certified organic vegetable glycerin in the shop!
Lastly, we add in guar gum to this body wash. Guar gum is a natural gum that is used for many things, but for this recipe it is used to help thicken and bind the ingredients. Without the guar gum the body wash would separate into oil and soap which doesn’t make for a great body wash.
–Grab quality guar gum here.
Using this kokum butter body wash has been a game changer for me this season. I still apply my body butter and other moisturizers, but now when I step out of the shower my skin doesn’t look like the cracked dirt of a desert. (True story people! My skin was scary stuff before this body wash!)
DIY KOKUM BUTTER BODY WASH (10oz)
- Double-boiler – I make my own with a glass bowl over a simmering pot of shallow H2O
- Container(s) – There are several container options in the Pronounce Shop
- Kitchen scale (optional) – This is BY FAR my favorite kitchen scale (very affordable and Amazon Prime); read more about it in this post that I wrote on my sister site, Scratch Mommy
- Place kokum butter and jojoba oil into glass bowl. Heat over double-boiler until kokum butter has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in guar gum until fully dissolved.
- Let mixture cool until room temperature.
- Once cool, add castile soap and glycerine to bowl. Slowly stir to mix well.
- Transfer to a glass jar and cap with pump lid.