Oregon Tilth Certified Organic | Kosher Certified | Fair For Life Certified
Botanical Name: Symphytum uplandicum
Other Names: Russian comfrey, prickly comfrey, Quaker comfrey
Certified Organic Comfrey Leaf Summary
Comfrey has large, very rough, quite hairy, lance-shaped leaves with whitish, pink, or purple flower spikes. Comfrey leaf has phenomenal skin regeneration properties. In Europe, the leaf has traditionally been used for sprains or strain, and often with broken bones. It’s actually been nicknamed “bone-knit” because of its amazing ability to help broken bones heal lightning fast.
Typical Comfrey Leaf Uses
Dried comfrey leaf is often included in salves. The dried leaves &/or root is also often infused in carrier oil for topical use.
Here is a great recipe to try with comfrey leaf from our Scratch Mommy blog, Rose-& Comfrey-Infused Lip Scrub!
- 1 Tbsp comfrey leaf
- 2 Tbsps rose petals, any variety (Pronounce Skincare Red Rose Petals)
- ⅓ cup sweet almond oil (Pronounce Skincare Sweet Almond Oil)
- 6 drops vitamin E oil (Pronounce Skincare Non-GMO Vitamin E)
- 6 Tbsps sugar (organic sugar)
- 1 tsp mango butter (organic mango butter)
- 4 drops sweet orange essential oil (organic sweet orange essential oil)
- Option 1– Cold Infusion – In a small glass jar combine the oil, rose petals, and comfrey. Seal the jar, giving it a liberal shake to disperse the herbs. Allow the oil to infuse in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks. Shake your oil every day or so to help the process along.
- Option 2– Heat Infusion – Combine the herbs and oil in a small glass bowl. Make sure the herbs are completely covered in oil. Fill a saucepan partially with water and place the bowl onto the pan and bring the water to a gentle boil. You want the oil in the bowl to get very hot and just the faintest bit bubbly. Too hot though and you’ll burn your herbs! Make sure to add water to the pan as it evaporates. After 2 hours, turn off the heat and remove the bowl.
- After the oil has infused and its cool, strain the herbs out and dispose of them. Cheesecloth, a coffee filter, or an old but clean t-shirt all work well for this. Be sure to really squeeze the oil from the herbs, since this is really the most potent.
- In a glass bowl combine your strained oil, mango butter, orange essential oil, and vitamin E oil. Mash it all together until well mixed.
- Using a fork or rubber spatula, mash the sugar into the mixture.
- Spoon your lip balm into a small glass jar.
- To use, gently scrub across lips while leaning over a sink and then rinse off with water.
Precautions: For external use only. Do not apply to broken or abraded skin. Do not use when nursing. We recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.
For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
You may also like…
Body & Hand Lotions$25.00 – $52.00 Read more
Softening Skin Scrub$7.50 – $20.00 Read more