$9.00 – $19.50
USDA Certified Organic | Unrefined | Hand-Milled
Origin: Philippines (small rural family farms)
Refinement Technique: Unrefined
Method of Extraction: Hand-milled from wet-milled fresh coconut milk
Certified Organic Coconut Oil Summary
- Pronounce Skincare Coconut Oil is certified organic, unrefined, & hand-milled coconut oil.
- It is *truly* handmade in small batches, not mass-produced by machine.
- It is wet-milled from fresh coconut milk, from hand-picked coconuts within 24-48 hours of harvest.
This oil is not mass produced, but made by hand just as it has been done for hundreds of years. The coconuts are certified USDA organic and only coconuts that produce the highest quality coconut oil are selected.
Also, the coconuts used to make our virgin coconut oil are grown in very rural areas, generally far away from metropolitan areas. Since coconut trees grow just about everywhere in the Philippines, most coconut oils on the market are harvested from trees in metropolitan areas, because there is less cost to transport them to the place of manufacture.
Because of the extremely selective procedure for choosing the coconuts, a higher price is paid to the farmer. Almost all other virgin coconut oils on the market are mass-produced and do not take this kind of attention to detail that begins with choosing the right nuts.
The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw (where these coconuts are harvested) makes them some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world! Independent testing in laboratories on coconut oil antioxidants shows higher levels of phenolic antioxidants than other coconut oils. The fresh coconut meat is shredded and then the water from inside the coconuts is added to make coconut milk (wet-milled). The coconut milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then heated at a low temperature for a short time and filtered from the curds (coconut solids). No chemicals or high-heat (e.g. steam deodorization) treatment is used, and this oil contains no trans fatty acids.
This coconut oil is made by families who are coconut farmers using old-fashioned traditional methods that have been used in the Philippines for hundreds of years. The families who produce the oil are also trained according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and re-certified each year. This high-grade virgin coconut oil has a long shelf life due to the high antioxidant properties.
Coconut Oil Body Uses
Coconut oil is a go-to for skincare products, and to apply to your skin on its own. That is why you find it in many Pronounce Skincare products here in the shop.
You can also practice oil pulling with your new coconut oil. Used often and regularly in Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is a wonderful and effective oral detoxification procedure that is super easy to do. Simply swish a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes, then spit.
Learn more about oil pulling in this post on our blog, Scratch Mommy, and grab our recipe for DIY oil pulling tablets!
Coconut Oil As Food
The nutritional profile of our coconut oil is amazing for your insides, too! Below is a great recipe from our blog, Scratch Mommy.
The BEST Chocolate Avocado Mousse (seriously!)
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- 1/4 C coconut nectar (or whatever liquid sweetener you prefer…maple syrup is also great in this recipe)
- 1/4 C carob powder
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 1/4 C pistachios
- Shell your pistachios and place them into your food processor and give them a whirl to break them down into much smaller pieces.
- Add all of the other ingredients.
- Process on low for a couple of minutes, turn off, scrape the sides, then process on high for a couple more minutes.
- When it all comes together, nice and whipped up to the consistency you like, scrape it into some small ramekins (I end up with 4 small ramekins).
- Place them in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes (longer will make them more solidified, which is also just fine).
- Eat. Smile. Eat more. Feel good about the incredibly healthy chocolate mousse you just ate.