Last Updated on
Iam not that old, but I’d still like to get a head start on fighting aging, especially when it comes to my face. What you eat plays a big role in skin health, but you can also use healthy skincare products to help (like Scratch Mommy Founder Jess’s Pronounce Skincare line products). Fight wrinkles and promote youthful, smooth skin at any age with this anti-aging night cream recipe.
I use a light floral hydrosol and essential oil in my favorite rose lotion, but I wanted to create a DIY lotion recipe that was customized to be used as a night cream. This anti-aging night cream recipe uses ingredients that have been shown to reduce and prevent the appearance of wrinkles and aging skin.
Rosehip Seed Carrier Oil
Rosehip seed carrier oil is one that’s been sitting in my fridge for a bit, but I haven’t had a reason to break open the bottle yet. This oil is recommended for dry or mature skin, even though it’s also considered a “dry” or very fast absorbing oil. It’s also gentle enough to use undiluted on skin. If you’re dealing with really greasy, acne prone skin though, rosehip seed oil isn’t the best choice.
Learn more about carrier oils here.
The Best Essential Oils
I’ve also included a few essential oils in this blend since many of them are simply amazing for skincare. I use them in almost everything, including my honey face wash. In that recipe I detail how to customize the blend of essential oils based on your exact skin type. Jess also uses several different organic essential oils in her Pronounce Skincare line. You can find plenty of recipes with them here on Pronounce, as well as her sister blog Scratch Mommy. We’re all a little bit oily over here. 😉
Make sure you check out Jess’s Face Wash recipe using soap so gentle, clean, yet effective you can use to clean your bathroom.
Geranium Essential Oil
Organic geranium essential oil is my first choice for this lotion, since it does such a great job at balancing the oil/dryness of skin. It also helps regenerate damaged cells. Since your faces is constantly exposed to sunlight and elements, its cells need extra love and attention in our skincare.
Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Carrot seed essential oil is also good for aging skin, as it’s believed to remove wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin.
If you are looking for something not in lotion form for your face that utilizes carrot seed oil, check out Jess’s rejuvenating Pronounce Skincare Face Serum. It provides a very healthy dose of carrot seed oil, in a handy roll-on bottle!
Lemon Essential Oil
I’ve also used organic lemon essential oil for its ability to help even skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark spots. There is a caveat here though. Since we’re using lemon in this anti-aging cream recipe, which is phototoxic, I like to apply it at night to be extra safe. The lemon in this DIY anti-aging night cream recipe is diluted to a 1% concentration. That is half of what experts consider to put you at risk for skin damage, so there’s a very wide safety net here. This ensures maximum effectiveness with minimal chance of irritation. You can read more about using phototoxic essential oils safely here.
Fight Those Free Radicals
Vitamin E oil is the other key player in the mix. It’s an essential nutrient for the body, but we often don’t get enough of it. This is an antioxidant that fights free radical damage that can lead to cancer. Obviously, this makes it perfect in an anti-aging night cream recipe. It’s also worth noting, that there’s a benefit to applying it at night…
“Much of a topically applied dose of vitamin E alone will be destroyed in the skin following exposure to UV light.” (source)
Getting A Feel For Your Anti-Aging Night Cream
This lotion feels slightly thick going on because of the cocoa butter and sweet almond oil. That said, it sinks into skin very nicely after a few minutes, leaving your skin super soft! The rosehip seed oil is a “dry’ oil, so it really helps the product to absorb quickly. You can also use evening primrose oil if you’d like. It’s also very good for promoting youthful looking skin.
Learn more about carrier oils in this thorough post here on Pronounce Skincare.
DIY Anti-Aging Night Cream (1 cup)
Author: Jamie Larrison
- Glass jar – Find them in the Pronounce Skincare Shop
- 41 grams or 3 Tbs Sweet Almond Oil (organic, unrefined sweet almond oil)
- 13 grams or 1 Tbs Rosehip Seed Oil or Evening Primrose Oil (organic cold-pressed rosehip seed oil &/or organic cold-pressed evening primrose oil)
- 5 grams or ½ Tbs Cocoa Butter Wafers (organic, unrefined cocoa butter)
- 5 grams or ½ Tbs Beeswax Pellets (naturally and sustainably-sourced beeswax pellets)
- ¼ tsp Vitamin E Oil (non-GMO Vitamin E)
- 25 drops Lemon Essential Oil (organic lemon essential oil)
- 12 drops Geranium Essential Oil (organic geranium essential oil)
- 5 drops Carrot Seed Essential Oil (different than carrot seed carrier oil used in Jess’s Pronounce Skincare Face Serum, use organic carrot seed essential oil in this recipe)
- ¼ cup Water or Floral Hydrosol (I often use rose petals to make rose water, but lavender or calendula infused water would also work well)
Make Anti-Aging Night Cream
- Add the cocoa butter, beeswax, rosehip seed or evening primrose oil, and sweet almond oil to a medium sized glass bowl. Place the glass bowl on top of a saucepan half full of water on the stove to make a double boiler.
- Turn the stove on to medium high and stir the oil mixture occasionally until everything is melted and combined.
- Remove the glass bowl from the heat and add the vitamin E and essential oils, stirring gently to combine.
- Pour the liquid oil and butter mixture into your blender or stand mixer bowl. I find that using a blender helps keep the oil from separating much better than a mixer.
- Place the oil in the fridge for about 10 minutes, or until creamy looking, but not solid.
- Start your blender, or use the stand mixer with the whisk attachment and slooowly drizzle the water or hydrosol in while it’s running on high. Continue mixing/blending until it’s a thick lotion.
- Store in a super clean glass jar and apply to the face, preferably at night.
*Tablespoon & teaspoon measurements are approximate, but close. We reeeeeeally prefer using a scale for measuring recipes like this.
Always source organic &/or wild harvested essential oils that come from sustainably sourced &/or fair trade plants. Among a few other companies, we do really love Plant Therapy, as well as Mountain Rose Herbs essential oils.
Ready to DIY your own healthy anti-aging night cream? Easy peasy, ehh?
Not feeling particularly DIYish?
Simply not enough hours in the day? Pinning more than you could ever tackle these days? No worries. I have got you covered.
Head on over to the Pronounce Skincare Shop where Jess sells her Total Face System system. While you are there, please look around at all of the other skincare creations. Jess loves making them for her family and for you!